Caravaggio, The Taking of Christ, 1602

Caravaggio, The Taking of Christ, 1602
Tenebrism

Thursday, January 22, 2015

ESM's Rankings in U.S. Public Schools (blog 9)

https://k12.niche.com/eastport-south-manor-junior-senior-high-school-manorville-ny/rankings/#country

Nationally, Eastport-South Manor Jr Sr High School is top ranked in Best Extracurriculars (414th of 9,593 in the country of Public High Schools), Best Middle School Teachers (747th of 15,151 in the country of Public Middle Schools), Best Facilities (468th of 5,984 in the country for Public High Schools), and as the list goes on our ranking dimishes. Our school scores B+ in academics, A in extracurriculars, B+ in food, A- in resources and facilities, A- in teachers, and the list goes on. Our school is great, right? 

As you look down the list, we are bottom ranked in Best Outcomes (4,684th of 6,034 in the country for Public High Schools), Most Diverse Public Middle Schools (22,762nd of 23,538 in the country for Public Middle Schools), and Most Diverse Public High Schools (9,365th of 9,538 in the country for Public High Schools). It's not surprising to see that our school is at the bottom for diversity. According to censusreporter.org, Easport is 80% white and Manorville is 95% white. Why is there little diversity? It is a surprise that our school is low ranked in the Best Outcomes. Our area is fairly well off, in turn we have more opportunties, so how come we are at the low end of the scale? What do you think? 
See the link above to see all the data.  

3 comments:

  1. It is great knowing that us as students at Eastport South Manor Jr Sr High School are given the necessities to succeed later on in life, so we dont have to pay top dollar to attend a private school such as St Anthony's , Chaminade, St. Mary's, etc. I looked at the link above and saw that were ranked 304th in New York State and Westhampton is ranked 35th in New York State which suprises me, i wouldnt expect them to be ranked that much better then us, we seem like very similar schools but i guess not. ESM is ranken better then the other schools in the area such as Floyd, Center Moriches, Riverhead, and Bellport. It doesn't surprise me at all the we are bottom ranked in most diverse public high school either, but it is very strange and shocks me that we are ranked so low for best outcomes, most people i know that graduated from ESM later on graduate from college and get a good job, so that rank really surprises me as well Angelica. I wonder if our school will become more diverse in the next few years, i also wonder if we will become ranked overall as the years go by. I guess well just have to wait and see, excellent job on the blog by the way!


    David Sherlock

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Angelica! I was very intrigued with your blog post on our school. I'm glad that our school as great education and great extracurricular activities. I definitely do believe that we have one the best music programs in Long Island. No one ever really realizes that our school is extremely talented especially in the arts like music and art. I believe last competition Concert Choir went to they got gold with distinction (between 297-300) which is extremely impressive. So like i said i wasn't very shocked about our school having great academics and great extracurricular activities.

    Now with our school being one of lowest best outcomes in the country. In my opinion our school wastes money on unnecessary things like Smart Boards. I understand they are a great learning technique and everything but do they really need one in every classroom. I mean sometimes the boards even crash and they are supposed to be "smart". Anyways our school just spends money on useless things so no wonder why we are one of the lowest best outcomes in the country.

    Overall I am very happy where I go to school, but if I could change one thing about our school district is to spend their money more wisely and save. Thank you for writing this blog it was very interesting to read things about our school that i didn't know, but i do now thanks to you! Awesome blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I have visited many other schools for sporting events, the students at ESM do not realize how truly lucky we really are. Our facility is newer than most, providing us with newer technologies and a beautiful campus. Every time i have visited another school, I cannot picture myself even attending because I am so use to the halls that I walk in.

    I feel as though most teachers are very hypocritical with the way the teach in the classroom. It is sad to believe that I have been so excited to graduate high school due to the high amount of stress. Every night I was given tons of homework on top of a 7 hour school day, which just became too tiring to even enjoy my high school years. It also does not surprise me that we are ranked so low with overall outcome because I feel as though I am sometimes not fully prepared for the real world. Courses that are required for us have become so pointless, why not have classes where I can learn about growing up such as paying the bills or how to set up a credit card. Even college preparation courses such as SAT or ACT testing classes could have helped me get into a college easier instead of cramming for the tests my junior year.Since we are ranked so low in overall outcome it concerns me that if colleges see our high school, they consider other students over us due to their school. ESM should consider to work towards more life-lessoning classes.

    Your rankings on ESM have really helped my understanding of the school! I found this to be very interesting because I have always heard jokes in the halls that we are not a diverse school, but it really shows in these statistics.

    ReplyDelete