Caravaggio, The Taking of Christ, 1602

Caravaggio, The Taking of Christ, 1602
Tenebrism

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

blog 10

        I have decided to do my rotunda project on PTSD. I have not yet decided on the specifics yet, but I know that I am extremely interested in this topic and I am looking forward to learning more about this syndrome and to educate others on it. Given this, as a way to kick start my rotunda project, this blog will be about the PTSD statistics of the returning US Troops.

  • one in three returning troops have PTSD symptoms
  • less than 40% of these soldiers seek help
  • In 2009 there was a record breaking amount of suicides in the service......245 soldiers took their own lives due to the horrific aftermath of serving 
  • On average, 5 active troops attempt to take their own lives each day 
  • 1,100 troops have committed suicide since 2006
  • 200,000 military marriages have ended
  • Veteran homelessness is on the rise with 1/3 of our nations homeless being veterans
  • As of September 2014, there are about 2.7 million American veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars...at least 20% of Iraq and Afghanistan veterans have PTSD and/or Depression.
  • recent study shows that of 600 veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan 14% have PTSD, 39% alcohol abuse and 3% drug abuse 
These statistics were truly eye opening for me. I feel as if citizens praise these soldiers for what they do for our country and acknowledge them for that, but never truly feel or see the emotional toll it takes on them unless you experience it yourself. 


2 comments:

  1. This is interesante¡!!! -KELLY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Idk if you ever saw my blog of my essay on this but there's this graph you might find helpful on the last page.... I think you have to be logged into your school account to see it
    https://docs.google.com/a/esmonline.org/document/d/1b7D1ZT_rywsxwmyhQ05wd0VN5Q-vlmTQNK1n3P0X15c/edit?usp=sharing

    ReplyDelete