Caravaggio, The Taking of Christ, 1602

Caravaggio, The Taking of Christ, 1602
Tenebrism

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

#WereAllHuman

We all came into this world the same way, and some day we will all leave this world.... We all have fears, we all have ambitions and dreams. Every one of us will come across difficult times and everyone of us will experience this life differently.

My friend, Sam Quinn, and I will be working on our rotunda project together which will display people from all walks of life and some information about them. We have based our assignment off of a blog run by a photographer in NY called "HONY" (Humans of New York). Our goal is to remind our peers to never forget that everyone is human, that they should accept and embrace differences in others within their world, and when faced with problems, to be kind and understanding with one another. Despite a person's gender, religion, income, or race they have feelings, they live on the same planet as you do, and they deserve respect and humanity. After all, #WereAllHuman

To do this we will be walking around local towns photographing individuals and asking them three questions:
1. What is the most difficult/recent personal struggle you have gone through?
2. The most joyful/proud moment of your life was _________?
3. If you could give one piece of advice to everyone what would it be?

We will be posting many of these answers along with the individuals' photos in the rotunda show. I encourage my friends and peers to post their answers along with a photo of themselves with the hashtag "#WereAllHuman". None of the answers are meant to be perfect and true for everyone so keep in mind to be respectful. To start off here's mine (sorry for the bad quality picture... Sam's the one with the camera lol):

1. My most recent struggle has been my self image because of my choice to stay home for college. Everyday some one new in the senior class gets accepted to their top school, which is really wonderful because they all have worked so hard for it but it's really difficult for me to be happy about staying home when I know all of my friends will be moving away to pursue their futures. I'm not saying that Suffolk is bad I just feel very lost about what my future is going to be like. I'm really unsure of a lot of things and I feel like just because I'm staying home I'm not going to do as well as everyone else.
2. I was really proud of myself for overcoming my absurd fear of sea creatures about a year ago. It sounds really lame but I was deathly afraid of dolphins, whales, stingrays, eels and what not. I went on a cruise a while ago and while there my family went on a boat tour to an area with stingrays. Stepping off the boat onto the creature infested sandbar felt awesome because I was finally beating that restriction my mind created and overcoming something I was terrified of.
3. If I could give one piece of advice to everyone it would probably be "If you're not happy change your perspective." That usually helps me when I get into a long dull mood for a while. If I want to be happy I should look at things in a positive light and see negative things as challenges or things to improve upon.

4 comments: