Caravaggio, The Taking of Christ, 1602

Caravaggio, The Taking of Christ, 1602
Tenebrism

Saturday, November 29, 2014

Vincent Van Gogh (blog 6)



         
          While at the MET, there were many paintings I enjoyed looking at. One of the reasons is because Vincent Van Gogh is one of my favorite painters. This painting is called Van Gogh in a Yellow Straw Hat. One thing I particularly like about this painting is the colors used and the style of the brush strokes. I feel Van Gogh made it look very realistic and he captures every detail so well, like the hat and the facial hair. One thing I noticed was how the paint changes direction to express different forms and textures in the face. This is why this painting is my favorite.

          While at the MET, this was also the painting I chose to look at for five minutes and draw for five minutes. It was very interesting doing this experiment because it helped me really see every detail included. Focusing and analyzing on one painting also helped me try to find real meaning behind it instead of just looking at a million different paintings for like a second. It was interesting and also difficult to try to draw everything in the five minutes too, because there was so much detail that I wanted to include, but it was very fun to do. When after finishing the drawing, I made a list of something I left out of my drawing, and one of the things I didn't include was the shape of the hat, nose and the brush strokes used were off as well. This is why I chose this painting to do the five minute experiment on.

No comments:

Post a Comment